Thursday, September 29, 2016

Diagnosis Road: McKenzie's Story (Kerato-irido-lenticular dysgenesis)

 
The diagnosed: McKenzie, 2
The ones who love and care for her: Vanessa and Michael (her parents) and big brother Cameron, 5 


Name the diagnosis
Kerato-irido-lenticular dysgenesis - this means that McKenzie's lenses and corneas were fused together at birth. During development of the eyes there comes a time when the layer of cornea and layer of lens separates and creates the anterior chamber of the eye. This step did not happen for McKenzie.

In addition to the original diagnosis, McKenzie has suffered repeated scar tissue growth and multiple retinal detachments in both eyes. She also had glaucoma (increased pressure inside the eye) at birth.

The day of McKenzie's birth was both the happiest and worst day of my life. No one here could tell us what was wrong with her eyes. At birth they projected out in a cone-like shape and there were white flecks over the front. You could not see the whites of her eyes. Local doctors gave us several options for further evaluation - we were assured these were the "top eye institutes in the US". We chose John Hopkins since it was the closest at over 5 hours away. (Others included Wills in Philadelphia, Loma Linda in California, Bascom Palmer in Miami). We left for Hopkins the day after we were discharged from St. Mary's.

Our experience at Hopkins was the worst. The doctor there diagnosed McKenzie with Aphakia (congenital absence of the lenses) and glaucoma. A very rare diagnosis. She had multiple exams and an ultrasound. The doctor gave us very little hope. She wanted an emergent MRI of McKenzie's brain and sent us to the ER to get it done. That was a nightmare! They ended up admitting us, not letting McKenzie eat for hours and hours, and kept postponing the MRI. When we finally got it done they initially said it looked normal, but later told us her optic nerves appeared small. I was devastated!

The only good thing to come out of our visit to Hopkins was the misdiagnosis of Aphakia. After she was diagnosed I let the world of Facebook know. Many people started researching. A co-worker and fellow PA (Physician Assistant) thought that if this were her child, what would she want to find? The answer was other families with the same type of child, so she began searching the Internet. She found a blog post from a woman in Canada from 2007. This woman's daughter had been diagnosed with Aphakia and she was seeking other parents of children with the same diagnosis. 

Even though the post was 7 years old, I emailed the woman. She replied, and gave me hope (her daughter could now recognize all her colors and read extremely large print). She told me I needed to take McKenzie to see Dr. Nischal at University of Pittsburgh Children's Hospital. I immediately searched for Dr. Nischal's information and found his email on the UPMC website. I emailed him all the information I had so far on McKenzie and asked if he could see her. I gave him my email and phone number.

This was on a Sunday afternoon....HE CALLED ME BACK WITHIN AN HOUR! He had a delightful British accent and said that he would see her on Tuesday. He told me "don't despair, I'm sure something can be done". It was the first bit of positive news we had been given since McKenzie's birth. 

She was 9 days old.

I forgot to mention that in the midst of us being at Hopkins and living out of a hotel on minimal sleep and a roller coaster of emotions, my husband's oldest brother and our sister-in-law decided they needed to come to us for support....they lived in Pittsburgh at the time. My sister-in-law is from Pittsburgh and had researched the children's hospital there and had suggested we look into it. She knew nothing about Dr. Nischal at the time. All things added up, and I felt God leading us to Pittsburgh.

At this point we still had a meeting on Monday morning with the Dr. at Hopkins and a neurologist to discuss what, if anything, could be done. And this entire time I was very concerned about the glaucoma, but the Dr at Hopkins said she couldn't do anything for it because the procedure to correct it required normal eye structures, which McKenzie did not have. I asked several times about medications, and again she said it wouldn't work because they needed normal eye structures. She also said it was not urgent to control the glaucoma since McKenzie had likely had it all along in the womb. Everything I knew from my medical training was the opposite, and I knew that there was a short time to control it or risk permanent damage. Dr. Nischal was concerned that McKenzie was not on any medications for the glaucoma as well. 

Skip to Monday and we met with the doctors at Hopkins. I had mostly made up my mind that we were going to Pittsburgh, but needed to see what they could offer McKenzie. We were presented with the option of a cryolaser procedure to control the glaucoma (which, knowing what we know now, would have permanently blinded her). I explained we had spoken to another doctor and we planned on taking her for a second opinion. Incredibly the Dr at Hopkins knew of Dr. Nischal--had trained at Wills with him during residency--and she never mentioned him. At the time, Dr Nischal had treated the most cases of Aphakia in the US, which is saying a lot considering how rare the diagnosis is. I never felt confident with the doctor at Hopkins and I felt that she had never seen a child like McKenzie herself. At this point Dr. Nischal spoke to the doctor at Hopkins and instructed her on what medications to start McKenzie on.

On Tuesday we went to UPMC for the appointment with Dr. Nischal. When he walked in, he was a burst of light and joy for us. He examined her for less than 5 minutes, did an in office ultrasound and declared that she did not have Aphakia, that she had lenses they were simply embedded in her corneas. He was leaving the country the next morning for 10 days and he had procedures scheduled for the afternoon. He called surgery, moved all of his cases back to put McKenzie on 1st to do a thermal laser procedure on her eyes to temporarily control the glaucoma.

After that I stayed in Pittsburgh with McKenzie and followed up with Dr. Nischal's fellows, and my husband went home to be with our son (we'd been away from him basically since I had McKenzie.) She later underwent procedures to place a plate and drain tube in each eye to control the glaucoma (a procedure the doctor at Hopkins said could not be done) and multiple corneal transplants.

The past 2 years have held major ups and major downs for us. McKenzie has had 21 surgeries to date and only the left eye is open now (the right eye is closed off with scar tissue and has been for the past year). We still do not know how much vision we can achieve for McKenzie, but her doctor is confident that there are amazing therapies coming with stem cell research. Our goal currently is to keep the eye open and keep getting light to the retina. Currently I do not see any response to light from her, but the scar tissue has not come back aggressively since the last surgery in August, and the retina is attached.

Our life has changed immensely. Our son has dealt with a lot. For the first year and a half of McKenzie's life I was gone at least once a week to Pittsburgh, many times for several days at a time. His routine was extremely disrupted, being picked up by grandparents and family members, dealing with mommy being gone so much and with his sister getting so much attention. We do not go out much anymore because McKenzie is on cellcept (an immunosuppressant) and she has not had all her vaccines due to her multiple surgeries. She must have in-home care while we are working. My life revolves around going to work, taking McKenzie to doctor appointments and trying to keep some sense of normalcy for Cam. We are all exhausted.

I have mourned the life she would have lived without this diagnosis hundreds of times over. I am heartbroken and mad and depressed. Most tell me how strong I am, but I feel weak. I cry many days, too overwhelmed with what the future holds. I try not to think about it and try just to focus on the now. But the reality is that without some miraculous breakthrough we will be dealing with braille, seeing eye dogs, and the heartbreak that she cannot do things a "normal" child/teenager can do over and over again. But through all of this, McKenzie is a shining light. She is always happy, smiling, and singing. She is determined and fierce! She does not know any different, and although she will have many obstacles in this life I think that she will tackle them brilliantly.


How does it affect your relationships?
Many relationships have suffered due to McKenzie's issues. My husband and I are always tired and stretched too thin. We argue a lot. Cam acts out, likely just looking for attention, and in turn we get frustrated and yell at him too often. I rarely go to church, afraid to expose McKenzie to any illness or because I'm working or just because we are just so, so exhausted. But other relationships have strengthened. Many family members have stepped up to help us. My mother is ALWAYS going with me to Pittsburgh. My father picks Cam up from school and keeps him until the evening when Michael is done with work. My mother-in-law and Michael's sister have stepped in to travel with me and McKenzie at times. And even my cousin Brad has stepped in, often traveling from Lexington with us to Pittsburgh and he even kept Cam for several days himself during McKenzie's last surgery.  My aunt has helped with Cam as well, staying with him for several days when there was no one else.  Other family members have offered moral and monetary support. In the beginning, Michael's oldest brother and his wife opened their house to us weekly, kept Cam at their house during appointments and surgeries, cooked for us, and helped lighten the mood many times during dark moments. My co-workers have been AMAZING! They are all mostly willing to switch or cover shifts whenever I need to be off for an appointment or surgery.


What is the hardest part?
Not having vision has restricted McKenzie in several ways. Although there is nothing wrong with her brain and she is very smart, she is extremely sensitive to new textures and environments. At one point when she was younger I could not take her to church because she would become very upset due to the loud noise and multiple people coming to see and touch her. She was especially afraid when hearing unfamiliar male voices. She will not eat any solid table foods. She does not know how to chew (and how do you teach a 2 year old who cannot see to chew something?) She will not even allow me to put anything in her mouth with my fingers, or brush her teeth for that matter. She still uses a bottle (several attempts at giving her a sippy have been unsuccessful) and she will only drink toddler formula and milk. 

She still cannot walk and has very little balance. We have also had a lot of trouble regulating her sleep. She doesn't differentiate night from day because she can't see. We went through a six month period where she would sleep for 2-3 hours, then be up all night and sleep during the day. My husband and I were zombies during this time and took turns staying up with her. I researched and researched and learned that she was likely deficient in melatonin, which helps induce sleep and regulates the sleep-wake cycle. Melatonin is normally secreted during darkness, in response to the release of norepinephrine from retinal photoreceptors and the resulting activation of the retino-hypothalamic-pineal system.  McKenzie was not getting much light to her retinas, so this entire process was deficient in her.  I also learned that blind children need a much more rigid bedtime routine, which is very hard for us!   

What is an unexpectedly good part?
McKenzie is a bright spot in my life, despite her issues. She can bring a smile to your face in an instant, and she is mostly so so happy! I have learned over and over again that God's timing is perfect - if we'd had McKenzie several years ago she would have most certainly become permanently blind - Dr Nischal only came to the states in 2011. He is one of only 2 doctors in the entire US performing surgeries on children like McKenzie. He is a world renowned ophthalmologist with clinics in London and India. Several times we have had surgeries moved up because of concerns he had in waiting. One time, the eye was just about to perforate from the pressure; had we waited a day longer the eye would have been lost. Once, a retinal detachment not seen on ultrasound was found and corrected. It is only by God's grace that we were directed to him.

When people try to comfort you, what is the least comforting thing you hear (even though it may come from a good, kind place)? 

People say all the time, "well, she doesn't know any different," meaning she doesn't know what it's like have normal vision. I know they mean to be comforting, but it doesn't change the fact that she will never be able to do many "normal" things. 

Are there certain places you just can’t go and do you have any advice for how the world can be more inclusive?
I have not encountered any issues so far with regards to taking McKenzie places. I'm sure we will run across things in the future that she is unable to do.


What do you want others to know about parenting/living with this diagnosis? 
Parenting is hard under "normal" circumstances, but with a child with a disability it becomes 10 times harder and it truly takes a village of support! I am trying to give McKenzie the best chance possible at a "normal" life, but it's hard to pour all of myself into her and then have anything left for Cam...and then my husband. It is so so hard! I am guilty of neglecting different aspects of my life and different relationships, but I don't know how to balance it all. 


Most of the time I'm just surviving. I pray that the stress will ease in the future and that we can just hold it together until then. My hope in people reading this is that you understand how extremely hard it is for parents like us and possibly give others a helping hand or a shoulder or an ear-just any form of support, because we need it.



Resources/sites/support groups you'd like to share? 


An article on the use of melatonin for blind children:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/464854  

A site for facilitated guide dogs. Children younger than middle school age cannot have a "guide dog" and control the dog themselves, but you can get a Facilitated guide dog that the parent controls to help the child with mobility.
http://4pawsforability.org/facilitated-guide-dog/


No comments:

Post a Comment