Sunday, April 30, 2017

The Shore and The Sea (a poem)

Artist: Jake Fernandez 

Part 1: The Shore 

Standing on the shore of who You are
I don't even know how I got here
I see a wave
For the first time
I let the water touch my toes
Internally, I'm ruined
The knowledge
The truth
The love 
In that little touch of water
Is almost too much to withstand
The beat of my heart is savage
It scares me 
Longing for more
I confuse the ache for misery

So I do what I always do 
When feelings overwhelm me 
I run
As fast as I can back to dry sand
Breathless, I collapse
Deep breaths in
Slow breaths out 
Idly, I sift sand through my fingers  
As I wait for my disobedient lungs
To surrender and steady 

By then the water on my feet is dry
Oceanic residue remains 
Enough to transform
But there is too much of me underneath 

I have always been content on the sand
Making sandcastles, smiling at sunbathers 
Watching others jump in the water
But when I became curious
When I walked to the shoreline
And the water touched my toes
I knew
Even as I ran away from it
I knew

I must run toward it
I rise 

I quit thinking and 
Feel
The sun on my face
Drying the water from before
Leaving a film that itches 
And makes me crave
More of the water

I quit thinking and
Hear
The waves calling to me
Reminding me the water is still there
The birds of the air 
Sing a song that proclaims
Even we are not forgotten

I quit thinking and 
Smell
The salty air
Yes, even the air carries
The aroma of the water

Part 2: The Run

Suddenly I begin to run
Instinctively I know 
I cannot ease into this water
I must run and jump
There is no stepping in
Getting adjusted
Then moving in a little more
And a little more
And a little more 
Because I may stop moving
When I feel I am deep enough
There is no deep enough

I'm running
My legs are doing 
What my mind cannot
And I laugh
Not caring as the shells bite into my feet
Blood trails behind me on the sand
Coastland clues create a pathway of pain 
For others to follow

The running releases something within me
Adrenaline surges through my veins 
Suddenly I can't reach the water fast enough
I scream in agonizing anticipation 
Face flushed and hot
I'm scared I'll fall before I reach it
Die before I reach it

Part 3: The Jump 

Just as a wave crests before me, I jump
The seconds in the air are 
Unending, unbearable
When will gravity do its job
And force me down?

The splash beneath the water is 
More explosive than the one above
My fears have come true
I die with that dive

Part 4: The Death, The Birth

I no longer live, the water lives within me
My former self is pinned to ocean floor
Forever weighed down 
Beneath the dominion of the water

Submerged, I come alive 
With a gasp that sucks
In as much water as I can take
Then more
My lungs were meant to function 
Only for You

I belong to the water 
And its desire is for me
It's always been for me
Something new rises up within me

Infatuated with a passion
To share the endless, everlasting water
With those on the sand
Who build their castles in vain
And with those further away
In the valleys
Where they don't even know to 
Imagine water

Part 5: The Emergence 

I step out after a time of
Laughing, dancing, 
Floating, becoming
I can now leave the water 
Without the water leaving me
Consumed, I emerge 

Teardrops of water fall from my body
As I walk away from the ocean that
Slayed me and saved me 
As if lamenting the lost, they unceasingly drop 
Leaving an intoxicating fragrance in my wake
Multiplying with my motion

Part 6: Walking With Water 

To be continued 
Always 


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment