Friday, February 10, 2017

Duh Mr. Doctor

At Asher's first ever neurologist appointment (the one where he got diagnosed with epilepsy), he was first seen by a student who was with Dr. Shah that week.  He asked us about Asher's medical history (ha! poor guy) and at the end of the list, we told him that he has over 20 food allergies and a penicillin allergy. A bit later he asked about his diet, asking questions that I felt were obvious. 

Q1: Oh...he carries epinephrine?(me: short version, um yes)  Oh, I see, he's had to use it numerous times. Hmmm...unfortunate. 

Q2: Are any of the allergies serious or anaphylactic? (me: short version, yes, explains anaphylaxis episodes, hence the reason for carrying epinephrine) What in the world can he eat?!? (he politely chuckles)

Q3: Is his diet restricted in any way? (me: short version, duh, duh and DUH)


*Liz Lemon is my spirit animal*

Then it hit me. You may think people are asking obvious or repetitive questions about something that you live with everyday. You just forget...they DON'T live with it everyday.  They don't research or ask questions or rely on information to keep your child alive. 

At the end of the appt., the student doctor asked if I had any questions and I replied, "I don't even know which questions to ask." It hit me a little then. Be patient with people who don't live "it" everyday. I'm not talking only medical things, just whatever you face daily that people outside of that world with it's abbreviations and jargon and community aren't exposed to on a daily basis. Your normal may be foreign to other people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment