Monday, February 20, 2017

The Worst Part of Homeschooling

The absolute worst part of homeschooling? 

Talking to people about it. 


I find myself constantly justifying and defending my reasons for homeschooling. I'm not going to do that anymore because: 


  1. People usually don't ask me to, outright. 
  2. Whether they do or not, they usually don't hear me anyway. 

I mean I don't even bring it up. It goes like this:

Person: How is homeschooling going? 

Me: Great! 

Person, immediately: I could never do that. My oldest and I butt heads. Plus my youngest is too social. 

Me: <Pulls out my pie charts and proof of diagnoses power point presentation explaining why I too never thought I could do it and why I am now and SEEEEEEEEEE???? Then I spend 800 consecutive minutes talking about the word "social." >

Person: Yeah, I could never do it, but more power to ya. 


I know many, MANY articles have been written on "what NOT to say to homeschoolers," but do ya know who reads those? Homeschoolers. And we're like, "YASSSSSSSSS." But I want OTHERschoolers to read them. 

And why do people take a simple life decision on my part and twist it around into a judgement toward them? Just because I homeschool doesn't mean I care if you do. Guess what? I've had two kids in private school for years, a child right now in the public school system and 2 kids currently homeschooled. I'M PRETTY DARN OPEN when it comes to school decisions. 

Let's just do our thing and let other people do their thing and worry about important things like kindness, servanthood and taking care of one another. Because when you're taking care of me, guess what I don't care about? How you school your kids or if you had an epidural or how long you breastfed your kids or if you work outside the home or feed your kids McDonalds or misuse the word "you're" on Facebook. 

Too much to ask? Alright, judgement is easier. Let's just do that. 


Again.

When you ask about someone's life...just listen. You don't have to defend your own choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment