Saturday, February 11, 2017

The Canvas of Silence: A Lesson That Changed Everything



My favorite professor at Marshall University, Dr. Smith, taught me such a valuable lesson that I didn't realize would become so useful in life.  I've remembered this lesson so clearly so many times.  We always sat in a circle in her class and the assignment was to ask the class a question regarding our paper's theme. The discussion would give us more insight into our topic and hopefully open up new avenues of thought. I asked my question and as the seconds ticked by, my heart began to beat faster.  I took a little breathe and prepared to fill the silence with...something...when she stopped me.  She gave the class this lesson, heavily paraphrased now by me:
When you're presenting a question to the class, don't run away from the silence that follows. Don't answer your own question or fill the space with meaninglessness so that the silence doesn't feel awkward. Let the people think and prepare their minds. You want them to ponder and then speak. You need to sit back without pressure and let the silence work. 
Believe me, this takes practice; the more you do it, the more comfortable you become. It's also a lot easier if you decide to do it before you begin and you're aware of the purpose it serves. If you could only see their words forming on the canvas of silence, you would never be tempted to speak over the expectation of their thoughts. 

Don't be afraid of silence. 
Silence is where people gather their courage, 
and when people speak from a place of courage, 
the extraordinary happens. 
The conversation takes you by surprise. 

Don't try to fill that space to make yourself feel better, you'll ruin what's happening in the silence. I get how vulnerable it is to pose a question and risk no one answering it, but it's oh so worth it when right as you're about to give in and speak, you hear a small, "well, I was thinking..." from the corner of the room.  Sometimes silence and all of its expectations encourage people to speak up who ordinarily wouldn't open their mouths.  You see, in the silence of our minds, we can listen to ourselves; we can be our own audience.  We so often listen to others, but when do we really listen to ourselves and what God may be speaking into us?  This creates an environment in which we are forced to ponder and gather courage.  

Listen to and pray this song now. 
Speak To The Silence, United Pursuit 

No comments:

Post a Comment