Saturday, February 11, 2017

Eleanor Roosevelt Lied



Ya know how people say, "no one can hurt you/annoy you/make you feel inferior/bring you down/whatever without your permission"? A quick Pinterest search gave everyone from Ghandi to Eleanor Roosevelt credit for that one. 

Whoever said it, it's a lie. 

That puts a lot of responsibility on you to fight back/ignore/not get hurt/defend yourself.  I get what it's trying to say, but it's still a lie. How do you deny words from penetrating anyway?

Sometimes words hurt and you feel it. Why are we so quick to admit that this is true for children but not adults? Words can take you down for a minute and that's natural. That's not weak, that's human. Sometimes we wallow and as long as that's not the only response we have or where we live, then that's ok. Pain hurts (imagine that.)

For me, it's not my responsibility to be the gatekeeper to my heart anyway. The peace of God guards my heart and mind. I don't have to fight, I just have to be still. He fights for me. He is the One who says, "Oh no. This is MY child and you will NOT hurt her. Your words bring destruction and my words bring life and healing."

No comments:

Post a Comment