Saturday, February 11, 2017

Living Within Motherhood



I wanted to share this picture here because it's a visual representation of what it means to me to be a mommy. 

Oftentimes in the most important moments, I have a child hanging off of me. This picture tells me that you do stuff anyway...live life...and you do so however you can. Like wearing Willow in my Ergo during worship as my hands are lifted high and her hands are in my mouth or pulling on my earrings or wiping snot on my scarf. There's a sweet connection in that moment, even as she's being a toddler and I'm being a worshiper. 

Before you know it, you realize that even when it feels the hardest, their little presence in your life enhances your experiences. 

In the above picture, I needed to go to the altar and cry out to God. Yes, I could have done that anywhere or waited but I needed to be at the feet of my God and I get in that mindset the best at the literal altar. So I just took her with me. Our church loves the little children and welcomes them into service at all times. We walked up there together. She ran around some, she laughed. She danced and waved at the sea of people who love her. And then she held onto me as I held onto Jesus. 


Two worshipers at the altar. 
Mother and daughter in the world. 
Sisters in Christ. 

Sometimes you want time to just grieve or praise or reflect or rejoice by yourself but it's not an option. And so you get the gift of shared joy with a little human that maybe you wanted some distance from at first. You realize that the instinct to mother can take over in any and all situations before you even realize your arms are reaching out for your child. 

A friend snapped this picture and I'm forever grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment